Saturday, April 9, 2011

What Will You Give?

Growing up in a rural Southern Baptist Church, I was never really exposed to the season of Lent.  I thought that it was something that Catholics and maybe Episcopals did and Protestants didn't do.  Now that I have been privileged  to attend Divinity School for several semesters where I have had a great deal of opportunity to study the history of many Christian traditions, I have a growing appreciation for the seasons of the church calendar, including the 40 days leading up to Easter known as the season of Lent.

When I came across this news story about a boy who really takes seriously this special time of year that Christians set aside to remember Christ's sacrifice, I could not help but be moved by it.  This teenager in Missouri gave up speaking for 40 days.  According to the article some of his friends didn't understand why he was doing this, and some even walked away, but that didn't matter to this young man.  He plans for his first words on Easter Sunday to be words of thanksgiving to God for the gift of His Son.

What about the rest of us?  What small sacrifice are we willing to give to show our thankfulness to God for His unspeakable gift?  Are you willing to possibly loose friends in the process?  Many in the early church gave everything, even their lives to follow Christ.  Every year they fasted for 40 days prior to Easter, ending in a celebration of the Resurrection.  I hope to challenge everyone who reads this, including myself, to find ways to give up something for the Glory of the One who gave us everything.

So Jesus answered and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My sake and the gospel’s, who shall not receive a hundredfold now in this time—houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions—and in the age to come, eternal life.  But many who are first will be last, and the last first.” Mark 10:29-31

3 comments:

  1. KIM,

    I am enjoying reading your blog. It is attractive and I look forward to seeing what you are thinking about each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, the time of Lent brings up feelings of sadness because I grew up following these traditions without knowing who Christ was, why He truly came, and what that could mean in my life. Since I began to follow the Jesus road I have struggled with watching so many follow this tradition thinking that this is gaining them favor with God. I desire for them to know true freedom and forgiveness in Christ so that if they choose to continue following this tradtion it can be out of their love and gratitude for Christ rather then obligation and hope for gaining rightousness. I felt the same feeling of sadness when visiting Europe and seeing the beautiful historic shurches and cathedrals many of which are now museums. Both situations remind me of whitewashed tombs. I know this isn't the case for everyone who celebrates Lent (and of course there is nothing wrong with celebrating it) but it is something to remember during this time and be praying for those who follow the tradition without knowing the One who it is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krista, you're right, tradition without meaning is a sad thing to watch. I think the more I study church history and learn the origins and the meaning behind things like Lent though, the more I want so badly for everyone to understand how seriously the early church took their faith, and how much richness we miss by following the tradition without understanding the significance behind it.

    ReplyDelete